20 Self-Esteem Boosting Tips to Uplift Mood and Build Confidence
As we wander through our individual life, we come up against many relationships (professional or personal) who have an important impact on us. The way we process other people’s behaviour towards us makes us who we are today and affects our self-esteem and self-worth.
Have you ever had someone put you down, bully you or strip you of your self-worth? They may have been a past relationship, friendship, parental relationship or someone at work. People who have a low opinion of themselves will often be the first to put others down and although we cannot control other people’s behaviour towards us, we can control how we respond to them. This is the most resourceful way to maintain a sense of personal power. In order to build up our self-esteem, the best starting point is to work on the most important relationship of all – the relationship we have with self.
Here is a list of 20 self-esteem boosting tips you can introduce into your day. If you can implement at least 3 – 5 of these daily you will begin to feel a shift in your mood, build your confidence and over time, people will start to treat you differently. We are all capable of having a balanced sense of self-esteem, but it must start with changing a few things first.
- Accept that everything in your life is a learning experience – forgive and let go of burdens
- Focus on your strengths – what do people like about you?
- Celebrate what you do well – what has been successful for you?
- Trust your decisions – avoid relying on decisions from other people.
- Give compliments – they make you feel good and the other person feels good too!
- Say nice things to yourself in your mind or in the mirror – learn to let go of negative self talk.
- Surround yourself with positive people – let go of those who no longer influence you in a positive way.
- Be authentic – avoid the need to constantly please other people.
- Share your opinions – speak up and people will notice and respect you.
- Push yourself out of your comfort zone – daily, weekly or monthly.
- Do the things that are mildly uncomfortable – be a little brave.
- Smile at other people – people appreciate being noticed and made to feel special.
- Respect your body – what could you do less of or more of to respect yourself more?
- Pay attention to how you feel – tune into your feelings as they are subconscious messages.
- Focus more on yourself instead of others – what one thing could you do for yourself daily or weekly?
- Be open to self love – no one can fulfil you in the same way as your own self love and self acceptance.
- Get thoughts off your chest – speak out about how you feel.
- Repeat daily affirmations such as “I’m worthy”, “I am always doing the best I know how” “I accept myself for who I am”
- Stand up for yourself and stay true to your values.
- Believe yourself to be equal to everyone else.